Enjoy a hearty, yet healthy dish that is filled with protein and Mediterranean influences. It is quick and easy to make, which is why it would be an ideal midweek meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Serves 4
1 Chorizo sausage
1 can of kidney beans or fresh kidney beans ( For fresh kidney beans, let them soak in cold water overnight and then boil the kidney beans in boiling water for an hour before you begin this dish)
2 large portobello mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of olive oil
2 teaspoons siracha sauce
2 teaspoons of paprika
4 teaspoons of honey
3 teaspoons of tomato paste
1 packet of quinoa (you can replace it with brown or white rice if you prefer)
Salt and pepper to taste
For garnish I used a dollop of coleslaw, in order to compliment the ingredients. A dollop of Greek yoghurt or sour cream are other options you can use.
- Heat the quinoa according to the instructions on the packet. If you are using fresh kidney beans and have boiled them, leave them to one side. Whether the kidney beans are canned or fresh, make sure that they are drained.
- Chop the onion and garlic into small pieces. Heat the frying pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic into the frying pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes until it is fragrant.
- Chop the portobello mushrooms and chorizo sausage into small chunks. Add them to the frying pan and let it cook for 10 minutes. You will notice that the chorizo will produce oil, this is vital to keep in the frying pan, as it will be an ingredient for part of the sauce.
- Add the honey, paprika, salt, pepper, tomato paste and the siracha sauce into the frying pan. Allow it to all cook for another 5-7 minutes. This will allow the spices and ingredients to blend with the chorizo oil, which will then form into a light sauce.
- Stir in the kidney beans and let it all simmer for 5 minutes. Take the pan off the stove and let it cool for 5 minutes. Once you are ready to serve, place the quinoa in a bowl along with the chorizo and kidney bean sauce. Then add your garnish on top. Enjoy.